Notice how when children are bored, they doodle? Zentangling is a more artistic form of doodling that will relax you and your Little and also keep you occupied if you have nothing else to do. Zentangling and just making art in general are great ways to lose yourself and disconnect from a crazy day.
Zentangling is also a great way to bond with your Little. You can create whatever you want together and share them with each other. It can take as little or as long as you want free of stress.
How to Zentangle:
- GET A ZENTANGLE TILE. Just start drawing any pattern or shapes you so desire! It’s all up to you.
- ONE STROKE AT A TIME. Begin to just stroke the paper with your pencil and become entranced. There is something very special about drawing. It forces you to focus and watch every single movement you make with the pencil. There should be no anxiety or effort involved.
- DON’T ERASE! Whatever you make, be okay with it. Don’t judge it. It doesn’t matter what it looks like. What matters more is that you are unwinding when you are drawing.
- DON’T HAVE A PREDETERMINED SCHEMA IN MIND. Your strokes should be continuous and free flowing. It’s almost like your brain has no filter. It’s okay not to have a filter when drawing.
- THE MORE, THE MERRIER! Once you create multiple zentangle tiles with your Little, you can arrange them into a beautiful mosaic!
Here’s an example of a Zentangle:
A few things zentangling can help you with or improve:
- Insomnia (Improved sleep by creating Zentangle art before bedtime)
- Change behavior
- Create beautiful works of art
- Nurture and develop creative abilities
- Relieve stress
- Improve eye/hand coordination
- Develop/rehabilitate fine motor skills
- Team building and group focus
- Anger management
- Early artist development and appreciation
- Increase attention span and ability to concentrate
Also if you don’t feel like free-hand drawing, pick up an adult coloring book. You can color inside the lines and use colors that relax you. Your Little can color in their children’s coloring book while you color in yours!
Here’s a link to buy an adult coloring book: http://www.amazon.com/Adult-Coloring-Book-Relieving-Patterns/dp/1941325122
For additional information on other match activity ideas, please check out our website: http://bbbscm.org/activities or contact Stefanie Gough at Stefanie.Gough@bbbscm.org for further suggestions